Transportation to and around Milwaukee
Milwaukee offers a wide variety of convenient transportation options that make it easy to get from A to Z and all points in between.
When it comes to getting around, there’s no comparison between Milwaukee and its larger metropolitan counterparts. Whether you’re looking to travel into or out of the city, or just around downtown, Milwaukee offers a multitude of choices that make transportation hassle free.
General Mitchell International Airport
- Just eight miles from downtown
- Ranked among the top fastest growing airports in the world
- U.S. Department of Transportation data ranks Mitchell's average fare significantly less than the nation's average.
- Ranked by Conde Nast as one of the top five business airports three years in a row
- Eight on-premise auto rental agencies
- Taxi fare from airport to downtown hotels is approximately $21 each way
- Convenient, low-cost airport shuttle services are available 24 hours through Go Riteway Transportation, see www.goriteway.com
Milwaukee Intermodal Station (Amtrak, Greyhound, Wisconsin Coach Lines to O’Hare)
- Amtrak – Just 90 Minutes from Chicago, see http://www.amtrak.com
- Only five blocks from the Frontier Airlines Center. Recent $17 million renovation featuring a glass-enclosed galleria
- Convenient, multiple round trips daily between Milwaukee and Chicago’s Union Station. Connections can be made at Chicago to more than 500 cities nationwide.
- General Mitchell International is one of the few U.S. airports to include an Amtrak station. A free shuttle bus connects rail passengers to the airport.
- Greyhound hub, see http://www.greyhound.com
- Bus Service to Chicago Airports: Wisconsin Coachlines provides a relaxing and stress-free ride to Midway or O'Hare Airports. http://www.coachusa.com/wisconsincoach/
Getting Around Town – Easy and Convenient
With city streets laid out in a grid pattern, finding your way between convention center, hotels and downtown attractions is hassle free for even the first-time visitor. Downtown Milwaukee offers affordable and convenient parking in and around the Frontier Airlines Center for day meeting attendees.
- The City of Milwaukee ranks among the nation’s most walkable cities, according to www.walkscore.com earning Milwaukee’s city center the designation of “Walker’s Paradise”.
- Public Bus Transportation: Milwaukee County Transit, www.ridemcts.com .
The Lake Express Ferry is a state-of-the-art vessel linking Milwaukee with Muskegon, Michigan. The two-hour trip offers passengers a faster and more direct route than driving south around Lake Michigan through the Chicago area. http://www.lake-express.com
Milwaukee is conveniently located 100 miles north of Chicago at the intersection of I-94 and I-43. The award-winning $810 million Marquette Interchange completed in 2008 assures optimal downtown highway traffic flow. If you drive into downtown Milwaukee, check http://www.parkmilwaukee.com/ for parking information.
Did you know: The Greater Milwaukee area is within an 8-hour drive
of 1/3 of the U.S. population?