Standards of Conduct
ITEEA members, including educators who fill volunteer roles with ITEEA, often occupy positions of significant authority, and with that authority comes important ethical responsibilities.
As education professionals and ITEEA members, we are guided by the following standards of conduct:
- Engage ethically and legally and prioritize the best interest of students in all aspects of technology and engineering teaching and related professional activities.
- Encourage students to consider the impact of technology and engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts for the betterment of all humanity.
- Encourage students to be aware of the need for sustainable development and social justice in all technological and engineering contexts.
- Maintain and improve our own expertise by continuing professional development.
- Recognize the limits of our own knowledge and areas of competence and engage others with complementary knowledge and competence in all professional activities.
- Serve all members of the profession impartially, providing no special privilege or favor to any individual member.
- Treat all persons equitably and with fairness regardless of race, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, disability, age, national origin, or similar factor.
- Demonstrate and model respect for students and professional colleagues, never engaging in nor tolerating any forms of harassment.
- Protect confidential information concerning students and professional colleagues and maintain the confidentiality of privileged information entrusted or known to us by virtue of any position or office held.
- Support other ITEEA members and professional colleagues in following this standard of conduct.