DiscoverE's Future City Competition is Expanding!
DiscoverE is excited to announce that the Future City Competition – Is EXPANDING! … To High School
Selected Team Coaches will receive up to $750 in stipends and may be eligible for an expense paid trip to Washington, DC (Feb 17th – 20th) with the student team members upon completion of the program in March 2024.
WHAT IS FUTURE CITY HIGH SCHOOL?
Building from of the current competition structure for middle school students, high schoolers will work in teams and one coach to design a sustainable city of the future and present their ideas through three deliverables:
- City Model (built in AR or VR)
- City Presentation and Question & Answer session with a panel of STEM professionals.
Teams can be made up of 3 to 5 Students (Grades 9th – 12th) and 1 Coach (educator or volunteer)
Competing teams are eligible to win cash prizes (totaling $15,000) and Scholarships* (sponsored by NCEES)
WHY FUTURE CITY
Future City High School’s framework is based on the following pillars:
- Student-led project-based learning
- Engineering design process
- UN Sustainable Development Goals and NAE’s Grand Challenges
- Performance-based assessment
WHAT’S YOUR COMMITMENT
To be eligible for the $750 stipend, Team Coaches must:
- Attend monthly coaches’ meetings (virtual)
- Ensure student team members complete the competition deliverables and meet deadlines
- Complete a Pre and Post Evaluation
- Oversee students’ participation throughout the duration of the competition
Student Team members will:
- Complete competition deliverables
- Receive feedback and scores on the Essay and Model
- A select number of teams will then be invited to compete in Future City High School Competition at Finals in Washington DC in February 2024
August 1, 2023 – Application Deadline
September 30, 2023 - Official Team Registration Deadline
December 15, 2023 Essay AND AR/VR model Deadline
January 2024 - Team scores released and invitations to Finals for a select number of teams will be extended
Space is limited, if you are interested in applying to participate in the pilot program, complete this form by August 1, 2023. Notifications for pilot selection will go out by the end of August 2023.